The Maha Nayaka Sangha Council today ordered Shwe Nya Wah Sayadaw to leave his monastery within one month. Ashin Gambira, Ashin Issariya (aka Daung Dsaw) and several monks protested against this decision.
U Gambira said: “It is a human right to express your will freely and to demonstrate. This decision of the Maha Nayaka Sangha Council is against the Vinaya (which is the monastic rules). It is an abuse of human rights. This is why I protest against the decision of the Sangha Council.
During the protest police was present but did not interfere.
Shwe Nya Wah Sayadaw said “I don’t want to be a reason for dispute. I would like to request all monks and everyone not to fight about my case as this may affect national reconciliation.” (Irrawaddy)
Shwe Nya Wah Sayadaw has been living in Sardu Pariyatti Monastery since he was 10 years old. He agreed to leave the monastery according to the order of the Sangha Council, even though he doesn’t believe that he really did anything wrong. He just gave a Dhamma talk to NLD members in Mandalay.
Comment from Ashin Kovida: The decision given to this monk today is negative for our Burmese political situation. It shows that Burma is not really on a genuine way to democratization.
Shwe Nya Wah Sayadaw was accused of giving a sermon at the Mandalay headquarters of the National League for Democracy (NLD) on November 20, 2011. The Maha Nayaka Sangha Council refused his apology letter with more than 10,000 signatures.
- Ashin Gambira Rebuilding Meggin Monastery – “We want to see real change”
- More than 10.000 signatures asking for forgiveness for Shwe Nya Wah Sayadaw
- Sardu Pariyatti Monastery to be evicted, Abbot U Pyinnya Thiha Sayadaw ordered to disrobe
- Ashin Sopaka being held under “Village Arrest”
- Banned by the Maha Nayaka Sangha Council
- Mandalay Peace Protest – Monks ordered to return to their hometowns
- Mandalay Peace Protest – Update
- Leaked U.S. Cable: Than Shwe gave order to kill monks
- What is the All Burma Monks Alliance, and Who are its Founders?
- A conversation with Ma Lwin Lwin Myint